First you stir in the dry cake mix, 2/3 C. evaporated milk, and butter until moistened.
Next spread half the mix into a greased 13 x 9 pan and bake at 350 for 8 minutes.
While that part is baking, start unwrapping those yummy caramels and plop them into a pot with the rest of the evaporated milk. Yes, a few did NOT make it into the pot! Dang! You know me too well!
Ok, now that the bottom is baked......
Sprinkle the top with the chocolate chips....
Drizzle the melted caramel mix over the chips, and as best you can, spread the remaining batter on top of the caramel. I have to say I did end up using a spatula and then my fingers to spread that yummy goopy stuff all around the top. It's a dirty job, but.....:-)
Bake again for about 18-20 minutes, and then get out the ice cream bucket because..
in hind sight, this is the best thing you could ever want to put on the top of ice cream! Maybe some Vanilla Bean Ice Cream from my friend, Leontien over at Four Leaf Clover Tales!
Happy reunions to all who are gathering. I am hopping back 20 years in time to visit with one of my favorite classes in the Monticello area Saturday (after freezing corn all day!), then gathering with my side of the family on Sunday. Time to charge up the camera batteries and polish that smile!
Here's the recipe all in one place so you can whip this Fast Fix Dessert for your peeps this weekend!
18 1/4 oz. Chocolate Fudge cake mix
1 C. evaporated milk, divided
3/4 C. butter softened
14 oz. caramels, unwrapped (ok, that little detail cracks me up!0
1 1/2 C. chocolate chips, semi-sweet
1 1/2 C. chopped pecans ( I omitted this ingredient from my brownies because not everyone is nutty around here.)
1. Stir together the dry cake mix, 2/3 C. evaporated milk, and butter until moistened.
2. Spread half of the mix into a greased 13 X 9 cake pan, and bake at 350 for 8 minutes. Cool.
3. Heat caramels and remaining evaporated milk in a small sauce pan over low heat, stirring constantly until caramels are melted.'
4. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top of the brownies, then drizzle the caramel on top of the chips. Top with pecans.
5. Spread remaining brownie batter over the top, and bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes.
6. Cool completely before cutting. Makes 2 dozen brownies.