Last weekend we had a fish fry at the house that served two purposes: it was one last time to gather with friends before heading to the field, and it cleaned out a good part on one shelf in my freezer! It also happened to be a day that great minds were thinking a like. I chose to make a couple desserts, and I will share the second one with you soon, but I remembered how much Tall Guy loved this Apple Snicker Salad at a family gathering a while ago, and decided to make it for him to go with all the fish.
I learned something about this recipe; it can be made several ways. My recipe is a pudding/Cool Whip base.....
but apparently it can also be made with cream cheese and powdered sugar because a friend brought it to the gathering too! Do you have a preference? We should have had a taste test, but I told her to keep hers because she has a son at home who loves the stuff, and boys sure do like to eat.
Ok, You can file this recipe under Apples and Easy-Peasy because, well, it is so simple to make! To feed the masses at the fish fry, I doubled the recipe. I also used Honey Crisp apples as my Golden Delicious apples are still a shade too green to pick. Our apples might not all look pretty, but they taste amazing! The girls and I have contests to see who can have the longest intact apple peal once we start using them inside.
Like I said, they aren't pretty, but when we find a bruised one, we just cut around the brown spots and use as much as we can of the rest of the apple. No waste on this farm!
Ok, Let's make a yummy treat for the whole family to enjoy!
Apple Snicker Salad
- 1 1/2 C cold milk
- 1 3.4 oz. package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 carton (8 oz.) Cool Whip topping, thawed
- 4 large (about 6 Cups) apples, chopped
- 4 2.07 oz. bars Snickers
- 1/2 C. Heath Bar nuggets
- Caramel sauce
- Chop up apples and Snicker bars into small, bite-sized pieces.
- Mix milk into instant pudding mix and stir for two minutes, then let set for two minutes.
- Reserve some Snickers pieces and Heath Bar nuggets for decoration.
- Add chopped apples, Snicker pieces, and Heath Bar nuggets to pudding and fold in.
- Add the Cool Whip, and fold it into the pudding mix.
- Top with remaining candy pieces, and drizzle caramel sauce over the top of the salad.
- Refrigerate an hour or more before serving.
There you go!
Share your favorite apple recipe.
How many of you have climbed up the apple tree to pick the awesome ones that grow at the very top?
Until next time Peeps, have a great day,
and make a positive difference
in someone else's life!